Campaign For Our CommonWealth | Kentuckians For The Commonwealth

Campaign For Our CommonWealth

KFTC has a Vision for Tax Justice in Kentucky...

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth is working for a day when the lives of all our people and communities matter before the profits of a very few. That’s why we work for tax reform that is fair, adequate, and sustainable. We’re approaching a moment of urgency for this work, and want you involved.

A Tax Shift that Neglects our Communities

Governor Bevin has announced that he intends to call on legislators to change Kentucky’s tax laws. The playbook Gov. Bevin is working from lowers taxes on the wealthy and corporations and asks a lot more from everyone else to pay for it, even taxing groceries and medicine. Some studies show that these plans may amount to a massive tax break for the top 5% of earners in Kentucky while increasing taxes on the remaining 95%. That’s not tax reform, that’s a tax shift. 

Tax Reform that is Fair, Adequate, and Sustainable 

Luckily for our elected offcials, a different playbook based a piece of legislation known as the Kentucky Forward Plan (HB 29) would bring balance to our tax structure by lowering taxes for low- and moderate-income families, ensuring the wealthy pay their fair share, and would generate about $570 million in desperately- needed public dollars every year. That’s true tax reform.

Kentucky's Pension Crises

Employees have always paid their part to the pensions systems; the state must also uphold promises made. Our pensions are underfunded because the state, as an employer, didn’t pay its share for years, not because pensions are too generous. As a part of the Campaign For Our CommonWealth, KFTC is dedicated to standing in solidarity with public employees to prevent the Governor and Legislature from taking away the pensions these workers EARNED! The best way to solve Kentucky's pension crises is for the Legislature to raise more revenue and fund the pension system like they should have been this whole time.

Ways to Get Involved and Take Action

To ensure that Kentucky's tax code is fair and grounded in justice, KFTC has launched the Campaign For Our CommonWealth. Below are ways you can engage in this campaign.

Sign and Circulate our Online Petition

The more people that vocalize their support for economic justice and susatinable tax reform in Kentucky the better! Sign the petition here.

Request a Training, Workshop or Presentation

KFTC offers an array of tax justice workshops to help people learn about our current tax and budget landscape and how to get involved in taking action for a better Kentucky. We'd love your help in hosting a workshop in your community! If you are involved with a faith group, community organization, school or even just a group of friends who want to sit around the kitchen table and learn more, get in touch with Tyler Offerman at or 859-276-0563.

Join a Regional Tax Justice Team

KFTC members and allies have formed regional grassroots action teams to organize for tax justice in their communities. The current groups are below with contact information for how to get involved.

Tax Justice Webinar Series

KFTC is partnering with the Kentucky Center for Economic Policy and other allies to host a webinar series to inform Kentuckians on important issues surrounding important issues of economic justice in Kentucky and where our taxes go. Please join us and learn about the issues.

2017 Webinars

  • Part 1: Kansas, Art Laffer and the Failure of Consumption-Based Taxes - Aug. 29, 2017 @ 7pm EDT (recording here)
  • Part 2: The Kentucky Forward Plan: Tax Reform Kentuckians Deserve - Sep. 21, 2017 @ 7pm EDT (recording here)
  • Part 3: Kentucky's Public Pension Crises: How Did We Get Here and How do We Solve it? - Oct. 12, 2017 @ 7pm EDT (recording here)

2018 Webinars

  • Insider Campaign Briefing Webinar #1: The State of the Fight for the Budget and Pension - Feb. 22, 2018 @ 7pm EDT (recording here)
  • Insider Campaign Briefing Webinar #2: Senate Bill 1 and the House Budget - Mar. 2, 2018 @ 7pm EDT (recording here)
  • Insider Campaign Briefing Webinar #3: Finding Revenue for Public Investments w/ Rep. Jim Wayne - Mar. 8, 2018 @ 7pm EDT (recording here)
  • Insider Campaign Briefing Webinar #4: The State of the Fight for the Budget and Pension - Mar. 15, 2018 @ 7pm EST (RSVP here
Issue Area(s):